Thursday, July 5, 2012

New York, Day II












































Dropped by Grand Central first thing in the morning to take some tourist-y photos of the famed subway station. They have a very open Apple store maybe two stories up where I bought my mom an iPhone case (like you care).

I met up with Nicole (who was studying at NYU for the summer), for lunch at the adorable Alice's Tea Cup on East 64th. We ordered the Mad Hatter, which included some scones, sandwiches and cookies with tea served in adorable pots. I had the usual Earl Grey - not too adventurous when it comes to food, no. I was able to get a few photos from the famous Laduree on the Upper East Side. It costs about $20 for 6 macarons. It's a little steep but I doubt I'll get another chance to try them out.

The MET is huge. There was hardly a place to sit on the steps ala Blair Waldorf and minions of Gossip Girl. Regrettably, I forgot to take down the name of the artist who did my favourite piece with miniature people glued to the wall (I can't think of a more elegant way to put it). If you're ever at The MET, make sure you head up to the rooftop. There's a pretty decent view of the city in addition to the occasional exhibit. I probably would not have made an effort to find the elevator if it were not for Nicole's rooftop tip. I lazy. My being lazy also explains the pathetic photo of The MET's exterior. The 24-70L is a pretty heavy lens, so I stuck with the markedly lighter 50mm.

I took a photo of a homeless woman at the subway station in a well-off area in Manhattan. A few seconds later a woman angrily asked me why I would do such a thing. I'm not the type to not defend myself when faced with situations like this, but given that I was in public in a foreign city in the company of my godfather, I decided to keep my mouth shut for once. It's really none of her business, and she should have thought about possible reasons for my supposedly offensive actions before asking such a stupid question.

If you want a fantastic view of the Brooklyn Bridge without actually getting on it, head to South Street Seaport and into the whats-it-called mall-like place. They have a veranda you can lounge in that provides you with said view.

No comments:

Post a Comment