Saturday, July 14, 2012

New York, Day V
































Spent half the day at the Museum of Natural History, and the other half at the Museum of Modern Art. I loved them both! The Museum of Natural History had a significant display dedicated to the area of Biology I love most - invertebrates! I have decided not to bore you with photos of jellies, crabs, and squids. Needless to say, I spent the majority of my time there and sped through everything else.

I doubt I would have enjoyed the MoMA as much if it weren't for their pretty extensive photography exhibit. Somehow paintings and drawings are difficult for me to fathom. They have a lovely area surrounded by the building where you can dine, have some coffee and just people watch all afternoon!

The 9/11 Memorial is, in my opinion, very well designed. I was a little put off by people posing and smiling for photographs taken by the memorial pools - this, to me, just doesn't seem like the place for it. A very nice NYPD officer took the time to talk, our conversation initially being about the sweltering heat. I eventually found out that his sister (whom he is very, very proud of) attends Harvard, while he is considering pursuing a master's degree at the City University of New York.

It's amazing how you can talk to anyone there!

2 comments: